Jumping in the volcano

Posted on Updated on

<Jim> It’s 2:52 in the morning on the day I will give notice at work – 6 weeks ago I asked for a leave of absence but was rejected.  My plan is to work one more month, to May 2nd. I never thought this part would be so hard. I like my job, I’ve had some awesome opportunities, I’m on a great project right now, great people, so many reasons NOT to leave, but, today is the day I metaphorically jump into a volcano.

Maybe that is a bit dramatic for this, but my daughter used that phrase when she left Michigan in her tiny car for her job in Alaska. It’s a referenced to the Movie Joe Vs. The Volcano. If you haven’t watched the movie, I highly recommend it. I even have a tattoo of the Joe v. Volcano logo to remind me that this day was going to happen.

We’ve been preparing for this trip for many years, Shawn and I have good careers and will be able to get new jobs, our kids have grown and are on their own, our bills are few, responsibilities are low, our dreams are many, we are hippies at heart!!! So this should be easy, right??   But I can’t sleep . . . Change, no matter how fun, is hard for me. I’m sure I’m making too much of this. People have told me this is brave thing to do. I’m not feeling so Brave right now!

I could keep babbling, but the best thing will to get some sleep and report back in the morning! .

and then…

So today I gave my notice and all went well, I told a dozen or so coworkers and all are very excited for me. All is well, I work (worked?) with a great group of people.

Maybe it was fate, but an old neighbor – who happens to be a road biker – passed us when Shawn and I were on the Tandem pedaling home. He said hello and Shawn told him that I quit my job today. “Well” he said, “that was pretty ballsy!” …that seemed to sum it up pretty well! What’s done is done, in a months time I will be unemployed. It gonna be a hell of a ride!

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Jumping in the volcano

Aimee said:
    April 3, 2014 at 12:14 am

I don’t think being brave means you’re not scared! If you were fearless no one would call you brave because you’d just do it. I think being brave means you recognize the fear and push past it. You’re taking a big chance! Plus the bonus about your kids being grown is that I think we all have guest rooms so you’ll never be homeless. You’ve got that goin’ for ya. 🙂

rathbike responded:
      April 3, 2014 at 12:23 am

Thanks Aim! I love you!!

sfloerme said:
    April 3, 2014 at 1:00 pm

One small step for man…one giant step for mankind! I can picture Father throwing his hand down at you in disbelief, but that’s water under the bridge. Follow your dreams and grow. I want to hear stories of sunsets in far away places. You both have miles of mountains to climb that not too many people will witness in our lifetime. So keep us filled in daily so we can share your dreams!

sfloerme said:
    April 3, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I have so many thoughts of well wishes for you and Shawn. I just wrote a paragraph, and it got lost in la-la land. Drat!

rathbike responded:
      April 3, 2014 at 2:56 pm

It didn’t get lost, we just have to approve the comments that go on the blog… So that when people post “get the heck off the road” we can chose to ignore them!

Thanks for the nice words! Yeah, I try not to think about what Mom and Dad would say, I’m sure they would be scratching their heads. ALthought someone did tell me that I should get over my fear of disappointing people. This is my life to life and so far I’ve done OK!!!

shelswift said:
    April 5, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Yay The Rathbun’s!!!! I’m so proud of you, it’s not often that people really go after what they want. You are living out loud, making an adventure out of life, bonding together and I think your HUGE, giant leap into living your dream will certainly inspire others to make their dreams happen too, myself included!
    Looking forward to getting a glimpse into your journey, sending good vibes, always here if you need anything and thank you for being such AMAZING role models, I think you’re both simply AWESOME people. Good thing I met you, HUGS

PS Aimee’s right on with defining brave–YOU’RE DOING IT!

Kim Rafferty said:
    April 6, 2014 at 12:12 pm

So inspiring! So cool!! (By comparison, I think I need to be waaaay more daring in my own life.) You two are fortunate to be living your dream! I cannot wait to hear about the adventures along the way!